Saturday, August 22, 2009

Good things come in packages!

Scene 1:

Meera Bhawan- BITS, Pilani.
12.30 PM

On the common loudspeaker: 9117(/5217/4216/4217) Nithya...parcel (3X)

Scene 2:

VG/Lemans- Clemson, South Carolina.
11.30 AM

UPS/Fedex delivery staff banging on the door. I open hurriedly and am greeted with "Package for you ma'am".

Scene 3:

Any F1 student returning from an India trip.

SMS/call on the mobile with a 'receive package' message.

----------

The neatly printed out address slip...explaining in full detail who I am, to any person who happens to lay their eyes over it (just misses my horoscope ;) ). The sender's address in full...as a precaution in the case of non/mis delivery. The letter that comes with it, saying that everybody is fine and they wish for the same here....even if I speak to them daily!

All of these and much more are the hallmark signs of a package hand-made by my dad :)

The process of package-sending is very elaborate. It might be prasadam from a recent pooja at home, new clothes for some upcoming festival or something I forgot to get/ running out of. Invariably, there is an independent list of things that mom makes. Pickles, podis, ready-to-eat mixes, sweets, norukku theeni (snacks), etc. And the highpoint of the entire procedure is my dad's highly adept packing skills. Not only does he give multi-layered covers to each and every tiny thing that is sent, but also arranges them so compactly that, if furthered made fanciful, can be used as a magic trick. I end up taking out 5 things out of one big thing.

Ah! I missed out the generous usage of tape. His packages can be vouched to be leak-proof with Indian railways, Indian postal/courier service and recently I discovered...even with international cargo shipping! I can say with as much confidence as I have....give him the challenge of shipping water in a package without leakage and be sure to lose!! Over the years, I have spent my time unpacking these parcels, initially from amusement to irritation to pride.

These packages...whatever they might carry...how much ever I like /not-so-much like them....still deliver their message. I know that I have a place that I can return to.. when I fail, when I do not want to try, when I see no way out, when I am too tired, when I don't want to talk about anything, when I just want to be.

And that's what I call HOME.

6 comments:

PS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PS said...

That was such a cute post! :) Could relate to everything you wrote! And yeah, DAD - superhero! be it appa or nanna :))

Nithya said...

Regd. the first comment, I am sorry...but it seems to have been deleted by mistake...if the person would please...they can post it again :)

Also, there is a typo.."furthered" it is written...while it has to be "further"

Sowmya Srikrishnan said...

"amusement to irritation to pride".....beautiful.

I might not have received parcels as many times as you did (I'd just go home and pick 'em :))but....I fully understand what you mean.

When Anita, my s-i-l received her parcel with her silk blouse neatly packed, and she called back thanking profusely for the awesome packing....the fact remains that I so felt on top of the world and proud of my dad! :) Its different when you are not the only person trumpeting the greatness of such skills :)

PS said...

That comment was removed but re-posted.

Anonymous said...

That was SUCH a sweet post ! :) been there - felt all that ! :)
The letter that comes with it, saying that everybody is fine and they wish for the same here....even if I speak to them daily :) :) I used to SO love those letters , still have all of them in my pilani trunk ! :) Nice Blog, Keep it going ! :)