Monday, June 29, 2009

Love actually..

For all those who haven't watched the movie, this is what the blog is going to be about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjnPcg9wRdE&feature=related

Among the romantic comedies of the 2000s, this movie and especially this scene (opening -airport) has been very popular. And why wouldn't it be!? it exactly shows what the eye wants to see.

I myself was at the arrivals gate of an airport recently and it is a happy place to be. People waiting for their loved ones...people getting off flights expectant to see familiar faces waiting for them..some others who are looking for boards and name tags... and then there are loads of others who do not even spare a flashing glance to these people, some of them are couples and families who are absorbed within themselves and many others are lone travelers who just do not expect to see anyone.

It can be safely accepted that Indians do not tend to express their love for each other as freely as the Westerners do. And coming from the heart of South India, I can only be certain of this. As it is, our lifestyle has been quiet and laid back.. we dont dance at weddings or hug uncles and aunts. At the airport, some things that I saw made me wonder if the time has come for us to slip a lil bit out of our shells.

A kid just dumped his bag at the sight of his dad and ran to him like it was the happiest thing to have happened to him. A pregnant woman was waiting with her two toddlers for her husband. A very old woman was giving a warm welcome to three other old women who appeared like friends. I dont think I can see this frequently at Indian airports. We teach our kids to be careful with their bags and not talk to strangers, not many wives wait for their husbands and a reunion of old ladies is almost unheard of. All that we see are either friends/relatives picking up those who get off their flights/trains with a smile (these days it is getting better with friends atleast) or it is just those with "catch the next auto/taxi" thought on their minds.

It is time we understood that saying "I love you", "I missed you" or not worrying about people around you for a moment is not unpardonable. It is not restricted to love birds you know! A simple expression of love and affection is what makes you smile and be thankful for the wonderful life you have been gifted with.

A man never grows too old to be able to say he loves his parents, friends, spouse or/and children.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You are getting better blog by blog. Love actually, it is !

Lorry Brooks said...

Very nicely written!!! And yes every word is true. Though the last line would attract anyone who reads this post, I liked the line "It is time we understood that saying "I love you", "I missed you" or not worrying about people around you for a moment is not unpardonable.
keep going :)

PS said...

Well said! Being a conservative lot, Indians were never comfortable with public displays of affection. But as you said, its nice to see the younger crowd do their thing their own way!

Sowmya Srikrishnan said...

Impressed, lady! In some places, truly profound!

Very nice post and frankly, I warmed up to this open display of affection, after I had Aditi I think.

I've opened up to lots of things than before, and I am surprised at myself :)

Would love to read more of you.

Sowmya Srikrishnan said...

And yeah, Lorry Brooks is a nice name da Ashok!

Lorry Brooks said...

danks akka :)

saro said...

Thanks my dear frnd for giving me the oppurtunity to realise my self / remembering my past thngs ,and im very happy to say this thanks........

And with ur permission shall i send the link 2 my frnds ?..........

Nithya said...

am sure saro u r not going to be reading this...but please feel free to share this!